Thursday, December 21, 2006

A Bird Fall Out

I was making breakfast this morning and I notice that all the usual birds were at the feeders.

Usually, I get a few here and a few there. It is not often that they all come to visit at once.

As Jim and I were sitting down to eat. I looked out of the window to see hundreds of black birds falling into our yard. All my birds had gone and the yard and feeders was literally covered with black birds. They were smaller than crows which we have a few living in the area. Jim said they were either Grackles or Starling. The flock was at least 500. They fell from the sky like leaves in a strong wind. Swirling and landing only to rise again by some unseen command.

On the ground by the feeders was a bird that looked like the rest except for yellow patches on the wings. It was similar to Red-winged Blackbird. But it was all yellow. No red or orange at all. I wondered if it was an immature Red-wing. Jim did not think it was. He was about to get his camera to take a picture when the birds as one flew off. They circled the neighboring trees landing and circling before they move on in a whirl of bedlam.

I thought not for the first time that we need a webcam on the feeders.

No comments: